General poisoning notes for Cannabis sativa

Accidental ingestion of marijuana (Cannabis sativa) by pets is an occasional problem. Family pets or young children may accidentally ingest the plant, which may be stored in plastic bags. A dog ingested hashish brownies and then exhibited various symptoms such as hyperactivity, vomiting, somnolence, staggering, and glazed eyes. In another case, in Edmonton, a pet ferret ingested the plant and became comatose after experiencing sneezing bouts and ataxia. Although no fatalities of humans have been reported, the effects on a young child accidentally ingesting marijuana are bound to be very disturbing to the parents (Jones 1978, Smith 1988).



Return to Plants page

Wildflower Seed For Sale  Wilderness Land For Sale